Student Life Goes Virtual with Events All Semester Long

Anoka-Ramsey Student Life hosts many virtual events over the course of the fall semester to keep student engagement up while we learn online. 

By Jesse Mishler, Staff Writer

This fall semester, Anoka-Ramsey student life is hosting many online student life programs and events. Clubs and organizations will also be virtual. In some cases, programs, events and student clubs/organizations will include both Cambridge and Coon Rapids campuses. 

Image Credit: Felipe Taconelli via Pixabay

“Over the summer, the Student Engagement and Activities Department has been brainstorming new ways of providing relevant, thoughtful programming that we hope students will find to be entertaining and helpful as we face another semester of virtual learning.” Elise Kazmerzak, the coordinator for student engagement and activities for Cambridge campus, explained. 

Kazmerzak continued, “Covid-19 has certainly impacted Student Life, causing us to shift the way we engage with students and connect them with events, activities, clubs and organizations on campus. Our main focus is for students to feel supported and engaged with the college community while keeping everyone safe and healthy 

This fall semester, information will be shared through the AnokaRamsey website, social media, student emails and other online methods of communication to share the news about student life. 

Current not all the clubs are up and running yet, but info will be provided as things become availableStudents will be emailed every two weeks about future student life events. Students who attend events will also be entered in a $25 gift card drawing every two weeks.

Image Credit: Eileen Catasus Chapman via Pixabay

“We know that this virtual learning situation isn’t exactly what a lot of people were hoping for, but we hope to make the best of it by creating new ways of connecting and helping students become involved outside the classroom. We are facing new challenges together as a campus community, and I am confident we will continue to learn and grow through it all. Kazmerzak said.  

The student life department provided this schedule of events for the month of September. Check your student email for more information and for information about future events.  

September 9th – Coffee with the Presidents (10:00 – 11:00am on Zoom) 

Meet the President of Anoka-Ramsey Community College, and the Presidents of both Cambridge and Coon Rapids Campus Student Senate! Grab your coffee and come with your questions about being a student at ARCC or just relax with coffee and company! 

September 14th – 18th – Virtual Involvement Fair All week on Flipgrid https://flipgrid.com/46eaab7c 

Clubs and Organizations are a great way to get involved and make the most of your college experience! Watch a short video introduction from a variety of ARCC Clubs and Organizations here to begin making connections and find out how to attend their meetings! 

September 15th – ARCC Leadership Exploration and Development Series: Leadership 101 (12:00 – 1:00pm on Zoom) 

In this session we will examine the foundational principles of leadership and followership. We will also discuss positional leadership and why this can be problematic. Finally, we will seek to dispel common myths about leadership. 

September 16th – Virtual B*I*N*G*O sponsored by Concordia University (12:00 – 1:00pm on Zoom) 

Join us for fun and a chance to win a prize! Open to all Coon Rapids & Cambridge ARCC Students! 

Register through this link: Join Zoom Meeting 
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/9176095195?pwd=SzhWU2JKZzB4czlFSWYwSHNkbk1sQT09 
Meeting ID: 917 609 5195 
Passcode: 720301 

September 16th – Job Readiness Center Workshop: Resume, Cover Letter, LinkedIn and Everything In-Between!  (2:00pm – 2:45pm on Zoom) 

We hear it constantly! With the working world rapidly changing you need to make sure you have an appealing resume to make it to the next stage. Stop by for this informative session to pick up on some tips and tricks to make sure your stuff is looking right! 

September 22,  –  Meditation with ARCC Counselor Liz Iverson (12:00 – 12:30pm on Zoom) 

Mediation isn’t about becoming a different person, a new person, or even a better person. It’s about training in awareness and getting a healthy sense of perspective. You’re not trying to turn off your thought or feelings. You’re learning to observe them without judgement. And eventually, you my start to better understand them as well. 

September 24th – Virtual Yoga with Elise Kazmerzak (noon – 1pm on Zoom) 

Yoga can help relieve stress, improve flexibility, strength and balance. Join Elise for an all-levels yoga class. No experience necessary, everyone is welcome! Tune in on Zoom with your yoga mat if you have one. 

September 29th – Diversity Dialogues (11:00am – 12:00pm on Zoom) 

Join us for a monthly discussion about current events in diversity. Topics will be determined by what is currently happening in the world of diversity, equity, and inclusion. 

September 30th – Job Readiness Center Workshop: Virtual Job Searching in Times of Pandemic (2:00pm – 2:45pm on Zoom) 

Things are different, but you still need a part-time, full-time or internship. Attend this session and learn how to navigate the virtual landscape of job hunting. We’ll discuss how to leverage job searches from the comfort of your own home and more!