How To Resolve Conflicts on Campus

An easy-to-follow guide that provides resources for properly dealing with disagreements on campus.

By Abby Paulus
Staff Writer

  1. Perhaps you’ve been in the position where you felt as though a teacher is not fulfilling their position/properly following guidelines or a student is acting inappropriately. Linnea Janas, a member of the counseling department at the Cambridge campus, stated, “Students are encouraged to discuss any issues with their instructor/staff person before completing the complaint form, if appropriate.” If this issue persists afterward, there are other options and routes you may take.


  1. The complaint form can be filled out regarding a student or faculty member and “routed to the appropriate Dean,” Janas stated. The form requires the student’s name, student ID number, date/location of incident, as well as names of those involved. The college will do their best to keep your identity anonymous when addressing the individual, says Lisa Harris, member of the Educational Services Department on the Coon Rapids campus. Being as specific as possible (and even including direct quotes) is very important. You may also express the ideal resolution you would like from the proper faculty.


  1. If this proves ineffective, you can fill out a formal complaint form found on the Anoka-Ramsey website under “Policies and Disclosures” with specific details (“reason for the complaint and a factual summary,” as the website suggests). You can either receive the paperwork from the Information Desk or visit the website.


  1. If the outcome of the formal complaint is not desirable, or is believed to be conducted unfairly/inappropriately, you can file an appeal, as well. Clear documentation will need to be provided.


  1. If you once again believes that the previous step was conducted unfairly or improperly, you can submit another claim to the Vice President. This is the final decision and cannot be appealed.


The student complaint form can be found here.