Cambridge Student Earns Coveted Internship at Steger Wilderness Center

Environmental+Club%E2%80%99s+group+of+students+who+visited+the+Steger%27s+Wilderness+Center+during+the+fall+2017+semester+trip.+Photo+Credit%3A+John+Ratzloff+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Environmental Club’s group of students who visited the Steger's Wilderness Center during the fall 2017 semester trip. Photo Credit: John Ratzloff

Cailtin Augdahl’s experience demonstrates why students should take up extracurricular activities. 

By Julia Yates
Staff Writer

Caitlin Augdahl is a senior in high school and is a full-time PSEO student at Anoka-Ramsey Cambridge campus. When Augdahl took classes at her high school, she reflected that she did not want to get involved in extracurriculars at the high school. Having the opportunity to do PSEO has allowed Augdahl to see the difference between high school and college and the benefit of being involved on campus.  Augdahl states, “PSEO is such a great thing, so happy I got to do it!”

Since being a PSEO student, Augdahl is now the president of Psychology Club, a new Phi Theta Kappa member and Environmental Club (E-club) member. Additionally, Augdahl volunteers at Family Pathways food shelf in Cambridge and Rough Start Resue, out of Princeton.  

Environmental Club’s group of students who visited the Steger’s Wilderness Center during the fall 2017 semester trip. Photo Credit: John Ratzloff

Through her involvement on campus, and specifically E-club, she had the opportunity to go to Steger Wilderness Center on three different occasions this academic year. Will Steger is a wilderness explorer who founded the Steger Wilderness Center in Ely, Minnesota, an organization that’s mission is to provide life changing wilderness experiences that allow individuals to grow their passion for the outdoors. Additionally, Anoka-Ramey Cambridge faculty members Melaine Waite-Altringer and Peter Wahlstrom are members on the Board of Directors at Steger Wilderness Center.

ARCC student Caitlin Augdahl (right) working on homework while enjoying college life. Photo Credit: Julia Yates

Augdahl first visited the center as part of instructor Wahlstrom’s ethics course.  “After the first time I went up there, I wanted to stay there, it was like, ‘aw that’s amazing.’” says Augdahl. 

While Augdahl was at Steger Wilderness Center for the second time, which was to attend E-club’s “ice ball” event, an annual ice harvesting event in February, Wahlstrom told her about the Steger Internship. She reached out to speak to Will Steger individually about the internship while at the Ice Ball. 

Augdahl knew that she wanted to apply for this opportunity. After further consideration, Augdahl investigated the internship on Steger’s website and decided to apply. The application process consisted of a formal application, a phone interview and some waiting. Augdahl was selected for the internship and will be serving as the cook’s assistant this approaching summer.