ARCC’s Top Administrator Gives Pizza and Takes Questions

Back to Article
Back to Article

A line out the door for free pizza! Photo Credit: Andrea Gerrard

ARCC President Kent Hanson makes himself more available to students by hosting a Q&A pizza lunch. 

By Ashley Johnson
Staff Writer

Students filed in and out of the pizza lunch. Photo Credit: Andrea Gerrard

On April 4, ARCC President Kent Hanson hosted a pizza lunch followed by a Q&A with students. Afterwards, Hanson explained his goal with this appearance on campus. “I wanted to interact and hear from students and hear their concerns. I don’t always get a good opportunity to interact with students.” 

The event lasted for about an hour with a steady stream of questions from

Students share a laugh with President Kent Hanson (seated right). Photo Credit: Andrea Gerrard

students and all were met with attention from Hanson. When asked about diversity on the Cambridge campus in comparison to Coon Rapids or Anoka Tech, he discussed getting the word out to multiple audiences. “I don’t think we have done as much as we can as far as recruiting.” 

Because he presides over three different campuses, Hanson maintains a busy schedule. He explained that in order to meet the needs of the ARCC and Anoka Tech, he praises his colleagues. “One thing I struggle with is trying to be three places at once, but I have great people who work under me, so I don’t have to make all the decisions. I have three to five meetings a day, so that is what really dictates my schedule.”  

One thing Hanson wants to address at Anoka-Ramsey is the graduation rate. Currently, the full-time equivalent enrollment between both the Coon Rapids and Cambridge campuses is 4,658 students. 

“We have many students who come here for a semester, or a year, and then they move on. We would like you to actually graduate from our college, so we are pushing for one hundred more graduates for next year.” In the last year, graduation rates have fallen. In 2016, 1,062 students graduated with their AA degrees. This number fell by 50 in 2017 to 1,012 graduates. This drastic drop brought about Hanson’s goal. One way that ARCC is pushing for more graduates is by eliminating the graduation fee but graduating students will still have to pay for caps and gowns.