Cambridge Campus Student Senate Election Results Are In!

New+Student+Senate+president-elect+Brooklynn+Underhill+%28left%29+poses+with+new+vice+president-elect+Kelsey+Boden+%28right%29+at+one+of+the+last+Senate+meetings+of+the+school+year.+Photo+Credit%3A+Ashley+Johnson+%0A+
Back to Article
Back to Article

New Student Senate president-elect Brooklynn Underhill (left) poses with new vice president-elect Kelsey Boden (right) at one of the last Senate meetings of the school year. Photo Credit: Ashley Johnson

New president and vice president elected, other positions remain unfilled. 

By Ashley Johnson
Staff Writer

Student Senate elections took place on March 27 at Cambridge campus. The new president is Brooklynn Underhill and the Vice President is Kelsey Boden.   

Underhill discussed her goals for her presidency, “As president on Cambridge campus, I want to make it so the Coon Rapids and Cambridge campuses get along better and at least be civil,” alluding to the all-too-common feelings of hostility between ARCC’s two campuses.   

Vice president-elect Kelsey Boden shares a similar goal, “I want Coon Rapids and Cambridge campuses to work together, do events together and promote the students.”  

Underhill explains her duties, “As president, you have to attend quite a few committees. The current president is on ten. You also run Senate meetings and bring up student concerns. Visiting Coon Rapids campus also helps bring in other perspectives to help us out here.” These visits help to relieve the years-long tension between the two campuses.  

Boden also has different responsibilities as the vice president, “As VP, I have to help with editing the bylaws, and then filling in for the president when she cannot be there. There’s also committees we have to be on.” 

President-elect Underhill explained the election process, “For elections, you first must fill out a packet, and get fifteen signatures from peers. Then you have to write a short essay about why you are qualified, and why you want the position. This all goes to the student life coordinator, Cindi [Gilbert].” After that, the list of candidates is brought to the Senate, and the voting begins. Underhill further explained, “The voting process depends on how many applicants for president there are. Since this year it was only one, it stays in the senate. If there’s more, they’ll have the whole student body vote.” 

Remaining Student Senate positions include: secretary, treasurer, director of public relations and director of technology. In order to join Student Senate, you must have at least a 2.0 GPA and must be taking at least six credits.