Musically-Enhanced One Act Play at Cambridge Campus

Back to Article
Back to Article

In the midst of all the drama and confusion, Felix (Michael Peterson) attempts to make the truth known. Image Credit: Andrea Gerrard

Theater department’s production of He Said and She Said entertained audiences with music and humor.

By Julia Yates
Staff Writer

On March 1-5, the ARCC theatre department hosted their annual Cambridge campus theater production, a one act play titled He Said and She Said 

Preluding the production was a short musical performance by ARCC students Josie Barstad, Janet Bolstad, Ashley Johnson, Leheca Merkouris, Abby Paulus and Mary Satre. This musical performance acted as a part of the one act itself by enabling the actors to sing in the time frame and characters of the play. This short prelude supplemented the overall submersion into this 1918 time period and helped to intrigue the audience to become invested into the storyline.   

By the end of the dinner party, characters Diane (Abby Paulus, left), Enid (Leheca Merkouris, center) and Felix (Michael Petereson, right) celebrate the abrupt departure of Mrs. Packard (Ashley Johnson). Image Credit: Andrea Gerrard

Barstad stated that one of the more difficult parts of the interlude was, “memorizing songs and being able to take good breathes.” But in the end, Barstad stated that it was all worth it because she got to, “see my mom’s smiling face afterward.”  

Lisa Weaver, the director, stated that one of her favorite parts of the play was this interlude at the very beginning, commenting, “it really came together in a great way.”   

He Said and She Said was performed by just four of the students from the musical interlude, Johnson, Merkouris, Paulus and Peterson, and is a light-hearted play about an old lady, Mrs. Packard (played by Johnson), who wreaks havoc on a small dinner party with her gossiping and lies. As the dinner party guests all try to untie these lies, their interpretations are confusing each other even more, resulting in this “he said and she said” business. Not to worry, though, because this web of confusion makes for a rather hilarious and dramatic ending.  

Paulus, who played Diana, the dinner guest at the root of Mrs. Packard’s lies, reflected that this web of confusion is her favorite part. “I am a dramatic person in general.” She also commented that a challenge of rehearsing this play was that with all her course materials that she has to memorize on a weekly basis, it was challenging to find time to memorize her lines.