Lancer Catering Leaving ARCC Cambridge Campus

Back to Article
Back to Article

Could this be a familiar view for students in the fall? Photo Credit: Patrick Clark

By Patrick Clark
Staff Writer

Cambridge students will need to find a new place to get food. Lancer will be leaving the Cambridge campus at the end of this semester.  

“They will be leaving the campus this May, at the end of spring semester.” said Gerrarda member of the Cambridge Student Senate and food service committeeAccording to Gerrard, Lancer will stay at the Coon Rapids campus.   

Various students relaxing and enjoying their remaining time in the cafeteria. Photo Credit: Patrick Clark

Workers at Lancer did not have any information about the closing. “Currently the company has not provided enough information to me in order to give an adequate answer on what will happen between Lancer and ARCC, said Tim Ristow, a Lancer worker on the Cambridge campus.  

There were multiple complaints being filed by students against Lancer and against the college itself, which impacted the nature of the situation with Lancer, according to Gerrard.  

The majority of these complaints involved not having nighttime food options available for students and complaints about high food prices

The food service committee ordered vending machines through Bernick’s, as a short-term replacement for the loss of LancerThe food available out of these machines will be similar to products that can be purchased from gas stations.  

Gerrard prior to answering questions about Lancer food catering service. Photo Credit: Patrick Clark

“I wish there was another way to solve this problem. I would prefer to have an actual cook preparing my meals rather than ordering a prepackaged meal from a vending machine, said Cambrige campus student Cassie Fiskewold. 

Adele Olson, Cambridge campus student, said that it would be better to have some sort of food service on campus rather than having to order food from vending machines. She said she does understand that the cost of having a food catering service is rather high for the campus. 

Cambridge campus student Sam Mayerchak said he was surprised to learn that Lancer would be leaving. He said Lancer is beneficial to both students and staff and losing the service will be an inconvenience to many. He said the current prices of food from Lancer are high, but does not believe food available from the vending machines will have the same nutritional value compared to having meals prepared each day by a food service 

“With a food catering service, you have trained staff who are professional and aware of food safety. Losing this amenity could have more negative impacts than positive ones in the long run, said Mayerchak   

The campus will maintain the open area with tables and chairs that is located next to Lancer food service. 

Editor’s Note: This article was originally published on April 12, 2017. Since then, the college has established a new committee to review other possible food service options for Cambridge campus. The Campus Eye will post any updates as they become available.