College Students Among the Most Stressed in the Country

Back to Article
Back to Article

By Kenna Gatzmer
Staff Writer

Stress is a normal part of life. However, when someone is too stressed out, the normal, natural stress can start to have a negative impact on everyday living.

It's likely that many college students have this same dream. Photo Credit: Quinn Dombrowski via Creative Commons

It’s likely that many college students have this same dream. Photo Credit: Quinn Dombrowski via Creative Commons

College students are among the most stressed out demographic in the country. In fact, according to LearnPsychology.org, about 80% of college students report being stressed often.

Last week’s final exams likely contributed to student stress at Anoka-Ramsey. At the beginning of finals week, two ARCC students were asked what was stressing them out for the week.

Kevin Tran commented, “I’m stressed about finals and transferring schools. Lately I’ve been walking, playing games, and playing volleyball to relieve stress.”

Megan Kaehn had a similar comment, I’m stressed about school and work. My manager just asked me to work Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. As much as I want to help out, I know my family would be upset with me if I did. I’m stressed with school because of finals, but that will pass. To relieve stress, I do relaxation techniques and if there is a problem that needs solving I look at all my courses of action and choose the best one.”

Just like these students found ways to reduce their stress, there are hundreds of techniques designed to help people cope with overly-stressful situations. With a new semester quickly approaching at ARCC, here are five tactics you can utilize to make it through your most hectic times.

College students represent one of the most stressed demographics in the country. Photo Credit: ColleggeDegrees360 via Creative Commons

1. Sleep – Staying up all night is a popular studying method for college students. Staying on a regular sleep schedule and getting enough sleep are imperative during finals week. Without sufficient sleep, memory can be affected which hinders the ability to study effectively.
  2. Exercise – Exercising regularly will release endorphins making you feel less tense. It can also help with sleeping regularly.
  3. Eat – Eat balanced meals and don’t drink too much coffee or energy drinks! Caffeine is linked to higher anxiety levels. Try a calming tea instead.
  4. Breathing and Other De-stressors – Whether it’s deep breathing, carrying a stress ball, or drawing, the classic de-stressors shouldn’t be underestimated.
  5. Plan – Effective and thorough planning will help minimize the chaos associated with a busy school schedule. Setting up a daily or weekly plan will help you stay organized and stay focused.

Good luck next semester, Golden Rams!

Unsure of your stress level? Take the quiz! http://www.learnpsychology.org/student-stress-anxiety-guide/